What is a GlowForge?
A GlowForge is a laser cutter. It cuts and engraves surfaces (wood, acrylic, leather, etc.) using a laser.
How does it work?
- The GlowForge can can accommodate materials measuring 12″ x 20″ and up to 2″ thick. The Passthrough slot accommodates material that is up to 20″ wide, up to 1/4″ thick, and as long as you want.
- It engraves at about 1000 dpi, with a spot size of about 0.008 in (0.2 mm).
- It can cut and engrave on: wood, fabric, leather, acrylic, rubber, cork, food, and more.
- It can engrave only on: glass, marble, stone, titanium, and more.
- For a gallery of ideas, visit https://glowforge.com/discover/.
ACPL staff are not responsible for errors that occur during printing. We cannot predict when something may go wrong.
How do I get started?
- Anyone with a valid library card in good standing can submit a project. Only personal accounts will be allowed (no business or bookmobile accounts).
- Find or create a design and submit the file via the online request form below.
- .svg files are preferred but the library accepts .jpg, .png, .ai, and .pdf.
- Alternatively, you may request that staff create a design for you. Depending on the complexity and design, staff reserve the right to refuse a request.
- Fill out all of the relevant information on the request form below and library staff will contact you regarding your project and reservation.
- You may provide your own material with staff approval.
- Any GlowForge brand materials are automatically accepted. You may purchase them at https://shop.glowforge.com/.
- Library staff reserve the right to refuse other material for any reason. Safety is our number one concern!
How much does it cost?
There is a minimum fee of $5 per project, or $5 per hour of engrave/cut time.
For library staff to assist with the design, there is an extra $10 charge. Patrons are allowed four hours of engrave/cut time per week.