ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the organization shall be Friends of the Arkansas City Public Library
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The Friends of the Arkansas City Public Library shall be a not-for-profit organization whose purpose shall be to support the work and objectives of the Arkansas City Public Library through means and projects adopted by the organization in cooperation with the Arkansas City Public Library Board and Library staff.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
A. Categories of membership and annual dues shall be set by the Friends Board of Directors under the advisement of the Library Director or his/her designated agent and the Library Board. (One or more categories of membership shall also be considered as endowment contribution and treated as such.) Note: under consideration
B. Membership in Friends of the Arkansas City Public Library shall be open to anyone interested in supporting its purposes.
C. Each member shall be entitled to one vote at official meetings of the organization. The Family category of membership constitutes two members. All other categories of membership constitute one member.
D. Membership year shall be Jan 1 – Dec. 31
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS AND ELECTIONS
A. The organization shall be managed by a Board of seven (7) Directors composed
of persons who shall be members of this organization. The Director of the
Library or his/her appointee shall also be a non-voting member.
B. The officers of the organization shall be elected by and from the membership of
The Board of Directors and shall consist of a President, Vice-President and Secretary/Treasurer.
C. At the first annual meeting of the organization, the members of the Friends Board shall be divided into two groups. The first group shall be elected for a term of one year. The second group shall be elected for a term of two years. At each annual election thereafter, the board members whose terms have expired shall be elected for a term of two
years. No person who has been elected for two consecutive two-year terms shall be eligible for further election to such board until one year after the expiration of the second term.
D. Board members shall be nominated by a nominating committee consisting of at least three Friends board members appointed by the President with the consent of the Friends.
E. Board members shall be elected by a simple majority vote of the Friends membership.
ARTICLE V: AMENDMENTS
The Constitution and Bylaws may be amended at any annual meeting by a majority vote.
ARTICLE VI: FINANCES
A. Monies may be received from memberships, projects, gifts, and memorials, and shall be used to further the purposes of this organization.
B. All organization funds shall be deposited to the credit of the Arkansas City Public Library in such financial institution as designated by the Library Board.
C. All expenditures from these funds shall be approved by the Library Board.
D. The fiscal year shall be from January 1 to December 31.
E. No organization funds shall be used for the benefit of, nor be distributable to, its members, directors, or officers, except that the organization shall be empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered when authorized in advance via electronic or regular meeting by the Library Board. It shall also be empowered to reimburse necessary expenses on behalf of the organization.
ARTICLE VII: DISSOLUTION
Upon dissolution of the organization, the Library Board, after paying or making provisions for the payment of all liabilities and obligations of the organization, shall continue to manage all remaining assets.
ARTICLE I: MEETINGS
A. The annual meeting shall be held in February. Members shall be notified in writing at least two weeks prior to the date of the meeting.
B. Meetings of the Friends Board shall be held throughout the year on a monthly basis, with meetings held at least nine months of the year.
C. A simple majority of the Friends Board shall constitute a quorum for the
transaction of organization business. Each board member is entitled to one vote. No board member is entitled to vote by proxy. In the event that an issue arises between meetings or when a meeting is not possible, an issue can be discussed and voted on electronically with the vote tallied and recorded as an electronic vote and shall be noted in the minutes of the next regularly scheduled meeting.
D. If the President or the Vice-President cannot be present at a meeting, the
board will designate a member to chair the meeting.
E. All meetings shall be open to anyone, however only board members can vote at board meetings.
ARTICLE II: OFFICERS AND DUTIES OF OFFICERS
The officers of the organization shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
A. The President shall:
1. Preside at all meetings of the organization.
2. Appoint all committee chairpersons and coordinate their activities with the
consent of the Friends Board.
3. Represent the organization before other organizations or associations, or
delegate a representative.
4. Be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
5. Prepare an annual report to include information on the activities of the past
year for the annual meeting.
6. Act as a liaison between the Friends organization and the Arkansas City Public Library, or delegate a representative, reporting to the Library Board as requested.
7. Appoint a nominating committee with the consent of the Friends Board of Directors for the purpose of proposing candidates to fill vacancies on the Board.
B. The Vice-President shall:
1. Preside at meetings and perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President.
C. The Secretary shall:
- Keep the minutes of all Board and annual meetings and distribute them to the Friends Board, and the Director of the Library.
- Assist the President in conducting the organization’s correspondence.
- Notify the Board members and membership of meetings and events.
- Maintain the files and historical records of the organization that are housed at the library.
D. The Treasurer shall:
- Be the chief financial officer of the organization.
- Make regular fund-raising reports to the Friends Board and at the annual meeting.
- Keep an account of all money raised by the organization.
- Deposit all receipts in the financial institution designated by the Library Board, in coordination with library staff.
- Collect all dues, maintain a current list of paid members, and regularly inform the Board of the status of the membership.
ARTICLE III: VACANCIES
Vacancies will be filled according to Article IV of the Constitution.
ARTICLE IV: COMMITTEES
The President, with the approval of the Friends Board, may appoint committees as are necessary for carrying out the mission of the organization.
ARTICLE V: DUES STRUCTURE
Dues shall be payable annually and the amount thereof shall be proposed by the Board of Directors and ratified by the membership at the annual meeting.